GSE Team Argentina

GSE Team Argentina

27 April 2013

Amigos, Familia, y communidad


We took a bus to our second stop: Rio Cuarto-- about 150 miles away from Cordoba, in the souther part of the province.  The people in Cordoba told us that we were going to the "small towns" in the south.  Guessing the size of Rio Cuarto, I'd say it's similar to Madison, WI, but with more buildings. (not so much a "small town"!)  We were again greeted warmly by our new families.  We quickly discovered that the English is limited--great!  More immersion = better language skills!

My Familia de Rio Cuarto were just magnificent!  Hospitable, kind, and really made me feel welcome and a part of their home.  Marcelo, mi "Papa" is a general surgeon, specializing in GI.  Carla, mi "Madre" is a divorce/family lawyer.  They have three kids: Juan Ignacio (I didn't meet him; he's away studying medicine), Coti who is 17, and Sofia who is 14.  Very sweet and intelligent girls.  It was good for us because they are learning English and I Spanish so we helped each other out.

I also have a picture of Hector Mario--a good friend of Marcelo (also a doctor).  He was with us a lot too.  I feel like he was the "great uncle" (actually more like a way too young Grandpa).

I also spent some time with Sofia (as all 17 year-olds...Coti is in a lot of activities, hangs with friends; she was not home often in those two days) and invited her to go shopping "in the center" (en el Centro) with Molly and me.  She seemed delighted to go with us.  We went to an Artisan fair and then to the center.  Between Sofi's English and my Spanish...we did quite well buying things.  :-)


We had the opportunity to visit a new social services project in Rio Cuarto: Casa de Amistad.  This project targets children, in the surrounding neighborhood, who are affected by malnutrition.   The area Rotary Club is very involved with this project.  Mothers and their children under 5 come to the center and receive services of: prevention education, nutritional meals, fine motor and speech therapies, etc.  They also have a volunteer Physician and Dentist who assist.  They are really doing amazing work!  The center has only been open a year and they have 16 families participating in the program.  They want to spread prevention strategies to eradicate the malnutrition issues for the future.


I was very interested in their work and their project.  Funding, of course, is the main road block for them.  They depend upon the Rotary Club and other donations to sustain the project.  I was particularly impressed at the commitment to educating the parents.  I was able to talk with some of the women about if there are any discussions about effects of malnutrition and learning too.

On 4/26 Marcelo invited me to come observe a surgery with him at the clinic that Hector Mario started and runs.  The clinic provides care for people who may be in more need.  Although Argentina has medical/health care access for all; there is still somewhat of a "classist" system.

The surgery...was... AMAZING.  The patient was getting a laproscopic "Gall Bladder-ectomy" (All my technical terminology of course).  I thought I'd be in the gallery watching...oh no.  There is no gallery.  I was there...RIGHT THERE...I mean like next to the anesthesiologist looking over the curtain and the monitor.  RIGHT THERE.  I was mesmerized...seeing the body from the inside...the liver, the stomach.  Watching these tiny instruments carefully maneuver; careful and precise.  This may sound a little weird, but I was moved at the healing aspect and it seemed like a different form of art.   I have much more descriptive words, but I will spare those who are not head-over-heals with GI anatomy.

The operating room and Casa de Amistad were really the first things I have observed that would be consistent with my "stereotype" of a "third-world" country.  The OR was sparse and very simple; a bit dated almost.  And yet...Doctors and nurses still scrub in, still ensure a sterile environment, still are active participants in the patient's healing.

The Casa de Amistad and OR experiences provided me with more opportunities to reflect on "Stuff"...literally "stuff"...how much do we need?  What can be shared among the whole?  To whom are we in service?  Yeah...those "light" questions that one ponders about while negotiating 2 languages and early mornings and late nights.

I'm not advocating we get rid of technically and medically advanced resources; however, my "Papi" had the same desired outcome with what seemed to me as "less".  As I carry around my several bags...one with about 6 different cords for electronics, etc...I am reminded of this...what stuff do I need?  What can be shared among the whole?  What is the desired outcome and can I do with what is necessary and not always what is wanted/

I really adored this family, city, people we met...todo! Everything!  I didn't want to leave them!  We joked that we (the GSE team) were going to protest in the morning that we left: "Sin salir Rio Cuarto!  Sin salir Rio Cuarto!"





No comments:

Post a Comment