GSE Team Argentina

GSE Team Argentina

26 April 2013

La primaria familia de Córdoba




Meet my Córdoba host family

We arrived through customs in Córdoba in somewhat of a flurry.  All of our Rotarian host families were there to greet us warmly.  My host mom (Madre de Cordoba is what I called her), Ana, was there with her best friend, Media.

Ana and her husband, Carlos live in a suburb of Córdoba.  I'd say similar to Wauwatosa, right on the border.  They have a boxer, Fidél and 3 cats.  I just met Tobi...he'd come in the window at night and cuddle next to me!  They also have 2 daughters, but they live near the university.

Ana and Carlos do not speak any English. I was thrilled because immersion is the only was to go when learning a language.  They were very patient with me and would correct my grammar when I completed my thought.  This was so helpful!  It allowed me to access the words I did know and then make new associations with better grammar. I decided I now speak: "Spgerlish". When I don't know a word or that awkward pause when you can't remember a word you used 5 sec ago...the German slips in.  I barely notice, but Ana would look at me and say, "that's not a Spanish word"

Ana is very proud of her garden; it is beautiful! She has lemon, lime and orange tress.  I saw a pomegranate tree and said, "Oh!  I didn't know these grow on trees!" She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "where do your pomegranates come from?"  "El supermercado!" We both had a good laugh.

I'm very chatty in the morning with them...my brain has recharged and the Spanish flows better.  Our days our packed, lots of listening and translating, and late nights!  Ana likes to talk, A LOT.  When I'd get home at 12 or 1...I could barely remember English let alone Spanish.  She didn't mind at all...she would talk and answer her own questions.

It was a great 1st family experience!  I know we all had very different ones.




No comments:

Post a Comment