GSE Team Argentina

GSE Team Argentina

03 May 2013

Bonita, tranquila, y silencia


The backdrop of where I am sitting as I write this is a blue sky, 360 degrees of mountains, a desert valley, a few trees with fern type leaves, and the sound of the waterfalls and streams flowing down the mountain.  Our travels have taken us outside of the Cordoba province in the north western part of the country.  We are near Tinogasta (where we are all in the same house for the first time!), on the other side of the mountain range I'm looking at is Chile. 

The north is more of what I pictured in my own stereotypes of what Argentina would "look like".  Here I feel much more in a different country and culture than in the south.  The south has many more European influences--architecturally, commercially, etc.  In Tinogasta, the indigenous influence is apparent in people and surroundings. 

We visited 2 schools--much more of a focus on agriculture, wine-making (yum!), and domestics.  Going to university is not a reality for most of the students as in our other visits.  He kids were delightful...we were offered an afternoon "tea" at the high School so they could practice setting the table, serving, etc for their test coming up.  Charming kids.









 Culturally, in the north of the country, I'm finding many differences than our last days in Cordoba and in the south of the province.  As in any city, Cordoba is fast paced...the smaller towns (30-50,000 people) we visited were much like our suburbs--many activities, commitments, etc, but less rushing as in the city. Here in the north, it was clear for me from the moment we walked off the bus, at the pace here reflects a much more relaxed, easy-going lifestyle. 

I guess i forgot to mention why I am blogging with this backdrop...we are at a natural thermal spring pool...several graduated pools of naturally flowing and thermal spring water.  It's magnificent!  Each pool as you move up the mountain gets hotter and hotter.  The last pool was quite "caliente"...we could only stay in it for a few minutes.  The mineral water and thermal energy has healing properties: improves arterial pressure, exfoliates skin, improves kidney functioning, cleanses and calms...seriously, it's glorious.

  Our days have been very full--many experiences, conversations, food, etc...all have been so wonderful.  The language is challenging for all of us, but its getting better.  I am just enjoying soaking up all that I can in experiencing the culture...and its exhausting in all of the best ways. swimming, soaking in thermal pools, grilling out what we needed as we are approaching our 1/2 way mark of the experience. 

I believe the best way to experience and learn a culture and language is to be immersed in it.  I guess I better go immerse myself back into the pools, take in my beautiful surroundings...and remember that this is the beautiful, relaxing, and quiet life of the northern people of Tinogasta, Argentina. 












No comments:

Post a Comment